Requirements and Expectations
SOCIAL STUDIES GRADES 7 and 8
Highland Falls Intermediate School
Mrs. Constable Room 229
SCOPE AND OBJECTIVES- Grades 7 & 8
To study the major themes of United States History
To acquire knowledge of American History
To develop an understanding of the people who have shaped our history
To develop a knowledge of basic principles and cultural heritage upon which our nation is founded
To reinforce study, reading, and writing skills
To develop critical thinking skills, as well as skills in comprehension, analysis, synthesis, and evaluation
EXPECTATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS
Homework is a very important part of class. Do your homework and you will be prepared for discussions, quizzes, and tests
Homework may include reading assignments, writing assignments, and other opportunities for enrichment and review
Homework assignments will be given and checked on a weekly basis
Homework assignments must be completed by the due date for credit
Late assignments will be accepted, but will not receive any credit
- All assignments that are handed in for credit are to be written neatly on loose leaf paper with the following heading:
SS Mrs. Constable
- Class participation/classwork grades will be calculated at the end of each five week period for a total of 50 points. If your classroom participation shows that you have completed the assigned work you will receive the maximum of 50 points. Points will be deducted if your in-class performance is disruptive and/or shows lack of preparation for class.
In addition to regular homework assignments, long term assignments such as essays and projects will be assigned and expected to be turned in on time. Those not submitted on the due date will have 10 points deducted per day late.
All students will be required to behave in an appropriate manner. This includes functioning in a structured setting within the classroom by remaining in your seats, being on time and prepared for class will all needed materials, speaking only when it is appropriate to do so, and respecting everyone in the classroom. Thus, students will be expected to be prompt, prepared, and courteous at all times.
The grading of this class is as follows:
- Independent Practice 10%
- Academic Behavior 5%
- Assessments 35%
- Classwork 50%
MAKE-UP WORK FROM ABSENCE
All assignments that are missed due to an excused absence must be made up within three days of your absence. If you have questions or problems with the work, please see me to set up a time that I can assist you.
All students are required to have the following items in class each day:
- 3-ring binder with loose leaf paper- success in mastering the class material consists of being organized. A three-ring binder will help you easily keep track of homework, notes, and class handouts. All students will receive a binder to be used for all academic classes. Students will need to provide the loose leaf paper throughout the year.
- pens and pencils
- highlighters for annotating text
- any assignment that is due
A classroom set of texts will be available as long as they are taken care of in the classroom. Textbooks will not be issued to students to bring home, however, they may be borrowed throughout the year.
I am here to help you learn and master this material. If at any time you do not understand the material we are covering, please see me to schedule a time that I may assist you.
Progress reports are issued at the 5 week point in each marking period, and reports cards at the 10 week point. These records will be mailed to you. I will also contact parents via phone, email, and texts, whichever method you prefer. Parents will take a short survey at Open House (September 15, 2015: 7:00) to indicate the preferred method of contact. Please feel free to contact me throughout the year if you would like to discuss your child's progress.
Intermediate School phone #: 446-4761
My email address: email@example.com
I'm looking forward to a productive and exciting year!! Together, we can make that happen!!