Spotlight on Student/Athletes
At O'Neill we have implemented a program to spotlight athletes who model excellence in sportsmanship. Each season, the coaching staff is encouraged to nominate student athletes who exemplify the characteristics of sportsmanship.
The coaches' nominations are reviewed by the sportsmanship committee. It is their privilege to choose two winning candidates from the nominees. Each season, the coach's written nomination of the athletes chosen are placed in a frame in our Hall of Fame to recognize their accomplishments.
In compliance with the New York State Public High School Athletic Association (NYSPHAA) Code of Ethics, it is the duty of all concerned with student athletics to:
- Emphasize the proper ideals of sportsmanship, ethical conduct and fair play.
- Eliminate all possibilities that tend to destroy the best values of the game.
- Stress the values derived from playing the game fairly.
- Show cordial courtesy to visiting teams and officials.
- Establish a happy relationship between visitors and hosts.
- Respect the integrity and judgment of the sports officials.
- Achieve a thorough understanding and acceptance of the rules of the game and the standards of eligibility.
- Encourage leadership, use of initiative and good judgment by players on the team.
- Recognize that the purpose of athletics is to promote the physical, mental, moral, social and emotional well being of individual players.
Remember that an athletic contest is only a game--not a matter of life or death for a player, coach, school, fan or community.