DASA (Dignity Act) Information
DASA Coordinators:JIO: Sarah Fitzsimmons and Thomas BretfeillerHFIS: Trisha Hannigan and Huma ImtiazFMES: Rachel Adelstein
What is DASA?
New York State’s Dignity for All Students Act (The Dignity Act) seeks to provide the State’s public elementary and secondary school students with a safe and supportive environment free from discrimination, intimidation, taunting, harassment, and bullying on school property, a school bus and/or at a school function. This regulation specifically addresses the following protected classes: race, weight, national origin, ethnic group, religion, religious practice, mental or physical ability, sexual orientation, gender identity, and sex.
Cyberbullying Amendment to DASA
The New York State Legislature passed an amendment to the Dignity for All Students Act to specifically address cyberbullying not only within schools but also incidents that occur off school property that could "foreseeably disrupt" the school environment. This amendment takes effect July 1, 2013.
Bullying Report Form
Anyonw can submit informaiton about an incident. If you would like to report an incident, please fill out the bullying report form (see links below) or contact a school counselor and/or administrator.
- Once a report is received at the school, the administration (Principal, Assistant Principal) will contact the parent or student to get further details.
- The situation will be investigated. This may include student interviews/statements, staff interview/statements, review of video/pictures and/or staff observation.
- Administration will follow up with the parent to inform them of their findings and explain the plan of action moving forward to support the student involved.
When in doubt, call or email someone about your concern. All of us (teachers/staff, administration) would like to be pro-active in every situation. Communication is a very important part of how the Highland Falls-Fort Montgomery Central School District can support our students with their social/emotional needs.
- James I. O'Neill High School Dignity Act Incident Report Form
- Highland Falls Intermediate School Dignity Act Incident Report Form
- Fort Montgomery Elementary School Dignity Act Incident Report Form
NYSED Dignity Act Reporting Requirement
For additional information about DASA please view the following video: