• James I. O’Neill High School

    Attached are the answers to questions parents posed prior to the January 12 town hall. Because the questions are specific to the high school, we have chosen to answer them in this format. You can read the attached or watch this video for answers: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JNDSmN4A7pbf8PpAd6T2HXykqnRe0MkV/view?usp=sharing .

    Feel free to contact the school with any further questions you may have.

    OHS FAQ's for January 2021 - English
    OHS FAQs for January 2021 - Spanish.pdf

    Frequently Asked Questions for Hybrid Instruction

    FAQ's for Hybrid Instruction - English
    FAQ's for Hybrid Instruction - Spanish

    Frequently Asked Questions about In-Person Instruction

    Cohort Letter to Parents - English
    Cohort Letter to Parents - Spanish

     Frequently Asked Questions

    Below are the answers to some commonly asked questions parents have about O’Neill. We encourage you to read this over and to contact your child’s guidance counselor if you still have any questions or concerns.

     Where can I find out about the dates and times of school events, such as Back to School Night, Parent-Teacher Conferences, school photos, concerts and performances, etc.?

    School events are best to track on the school calendar, which can be located on the website. The district website is www.hffmcsd.org. Once you are there, you should look for the button at the top of the page that says “Select A School” and choose “James I. O’Neill High School” from there. You can also simply click on the following link for the high school web page: https://www.hffmcsd.org/Domain/70

    Once on the school’s home page, there are tabs in a maroon strip at the top of the page. The last tab is “Calendar”. That calendar will have the updated dates, locations and times for school events. 

     Is there a posted game schedule for athletic teams?

    The district website (www.hffmcsd.org) is the best places to get athletic sports schedules and all other information regarding athletics, including but not limited to the Athletic Handbook, the Eligibility Policy, Medical Forms, Coaches Directory, Directions to Contests and Sportsmanship information. On that page, you can click on the third tab of the yellow bar at the top of the page titled “Athletics” (you can also access this link on the school homepage). On the left hand side of the page, you will see several links. One is titled “OU/BOCES O’Neill Game Schedule”. That link will bring you to the BOCES schedule page. You can see the schedule for all athletic teams or can choose the schedule for a specific team. 

    Additionally, the principal’s administrative assistant sends out a daily email to all parents who have an email listed in the school system. This email details changes in practice and game schedules.

     How can I learn about dates and information that are shared with students every day?

    The principal’s administrative assistant sends out a daily email to all parents who have an email listed in the school system with a transcribed version of the morning announcements. These announcements usually share a wide variety of information. Some examples include club meeting dates, volunteering opportunities, scholarship and college application information, announcements from the administration, etc. If you are not receiving these daily emails by September 14, please contact guidance to make sure that all of your correct email information is in the computer system. (Note that these announcements are designed for students. The school shares them with parents/guardians so that they know the information being disseminated to students on a daily basis.)

     Where can I find information about academic planning (such as course offerings, BOCES programs, etc), the college process and school policies regarding academics (such as grading, adding/dropping courses, graduation requirements)?

    The Guidance Webpage, which can be reached by clicking on the “Guidance” tab on the maroon bar at the top of the O’Neill website, has many different resources. The “Academic Planning” tab on the left hand side will take you to many links, including the “Course Selection Guide”, which has information in regards to academic planning and policies. There are also multiple links on that page that offer insight into the college process. We also have a college fair in the fall, information nights on the college process and regular udpates about the financial aid process and scholarship opportunities throughout the school year. 

     How can I sign up for the parent portal so that I can see information about my child’s schedule and grades?

    The parent portal sign up process can also be found through the Guidance Department Home Page. The link for the Parent Portal site also has frequently asked questions answered on that site, as well as a step-by-step process on how to enroll. If you are having any problems with this process, you should contact the guidance department. 

     What should my child do if s/he is struggling in a class or needs extra help?

    The first place a student should go to get extra help is his/her teacher. O’Neill offers an “Expanded Day” program on Tuesdays through Fridays from 1:50-2:25. Every teacher is available during this time in their classrooms. A bus is provided after expanded day for all students. Additionally, O’Neill’s National Honor Society has volunteer tutors who are more than willing to assist students who are struggling. They are available in the library during lunch periods and can also be made available by contacting the National Honor Society Advisor or your guidance counselor.  Additionally, the school offers Regents review sessions during Expanded Day after Spring Break through the day of exams. AP teachers also offer review sessions, but parents should directly contact that teacher for specific days and times.

     Where can I learn about school rules and policies?

    Every student receives a student handbook and a copy of the Code of Conduct during the second week of school.  Additionally, the student handbook and District Code of Conduct can be found on the school website under the “Our School” link, which is the second link on the maroon bar at the top of the school’s home page. Under “Our School”, choose “About Our School” which will bring you to these resources. 

     What are ways I can get more involved in the school and learn about opportunities for my child?

    There are many ways you can get involved. Aside from staying in regular contact via email or by phone with your child’s teachers and attendance at school functions, the following options are available to all:

    • Sign up for the Google Classroom for your child(ren)’s teachers. Almost all teachers use Google classroom, so you will get a daily digest of due dates and announcements if you do so. 
    • Read the OHS Student Handbook and District Code of Conduct, any letters that are sent home, emails that go out, etc. 
    • Get the district app, which will alert you to district and school announcements. It is called HFFMCSD.
    • Join the PTSC (all information can be found under “parents” on the school website).  
    • Follow us on social media. There are many places to do so, including the “James I. O’Neill PTSC” (https://www.facebook.com/groups/261271077239078/ ) and “Highland Falls-Fort Montgomery Central School District” (@HFFMCSD) Facebook pages; the principal on Twitter (@JIOprincipal) and Instagram (@JIOprincipal); and the district on Twitter (@HFFMCSD). 
    • Attend information nights sponsored by the administration, guidance and the district.  

     What should I do if my child has shared information about bullying that s/he has either witnessed or been a victim of?

    We strongly urge all parents to use the DASA/Dignity Act Reporting form that can be found under the “Quick Links” on the high school home page or under the “Parents” tab or “Students” tab. This will allow you to report concerns and goes directly to the administrators and DASA coordinators in the school. Additionally, we encourage you to contact your child’s guidance counselor or the administration if there is any information that is pressing or could endanger a student in the school. 

     Who should I contact if there is a trying situation at home that may impact my child’s performance or if I am concerned about my child’s well-being?

    If you or your family have unusual circumstances at home, chances are it will affect your child’s school demeanor or performance. The guidance staff and our school social worker are always available to help. The high school faculty and staff truly appreciate when families keep us informed about troubling situations at home, because it allows us to keep a closer eye on the students at school and make sure they are okay. 

    Additionally, if you fear that your child may be suffering from extreme anxiety, depression, drug abuse, risky behaviors, etc., we encourage you to contact your child’s guidance counselor and/or the school social worker. These situations can often be addressed more productively the earlier adults intervene. If you ever suspect that your child(ren) may be hurting themselves or have suicidal ideation, it is essential that you seek medical assistance right away. The safety and well-being of the students is always our top priority and takes precedence over all other concerns.

     What do I do if my family’s housing situation or food supply becomes unstable or insecure?

    If your family loses housing or your day-to-day/month-to-month living arrangements are unstable, you should contact the school social worker or your child’s guidance counselor so that we can ensure that your child has all the necessary supports through the school, including but not limited to transportation services. Additionally, if you are concerned about your child’s food stability, it is important that you contact the school so that we can ensure that they have the necessary nutritional requirements to be successful. It is also important that all parents apply for Free and Reduced lunch if they are uncertain if they may qualify for such services. 

     If I am interested in enrolling my child at the school, what information do I need to provide and where should I go to do this?

    Families who are moving into the school district should go to the district webpage and click on the second tab of the maroon bar labeled “District”. Under this tab, there is a link to a page entitled “Enroll in Our Schools.” This page (https://www.hffmcsd.org/domain/17) details all of the information you need to enroll, documentation you have to bring into the district and where you should physically go to enroll. 

    You can also go to the school guidance department page (listed under “Guidance” on the OHS homepage) and choose the link “Prospective Student Information.” For military families, this page includes explanations regarding the Military Interstate Compact. This interstate compact allows students to be exempt from certain state exams and graduation requirements, depending on when you move into the state. There are also forms on this page which will help you more easily transition into our school district. 


    James I. O'Neill High School

    Preguntas Frecuentes

    A continuación se encuentran las respuestas a algunas preguntas frecuentes que los padres tienen sobre O'Neill. Le recomendamos que lea esto y se comunique con el consejero vocacional de su hijo si aún tiene alguna pregunta o inquietud.

    ¿Dónde puedo encontrar información sobre las fechas y horarios de los eventos escolares, como la Noche de Regreso a la Escuela, las Conferencias de Padres y Maestros, fotos escolares, conciertos y actuaciones, etc.

    Es mejor realizar un seguimiento de los eventos escolares en el calendario escolar, que se puede encontrar en el sitio web. El sitio web del distrito es www.hffmcsd.org. Una vez que esté allí, debe buscar el botón en la parte superior de la página que dice "Seleccione una escuela" y elija "James I. O'Neill High School" desde allí. También puede simplemente hacer clic en el siguiente enlace de la página web de la escuela secundaria: https://www.hffmcsd.org/Domain/70

    Una vez en la página de inicio de la escuela, hay pestañas con una franja marrón en la parte superior de la página. La última pestaña es "Calendario". Ese calendario tendrá las fechas, ubicaciones y horarios actualizados para los eventos escolares. 

    ¿Hay un horario de juego publicado para los equipos deportivos?

     El sitio web del distrito (www.hffmcsd.org) es el mejor lugar para obtener horarios de deportes atléticos y toda otra información relacionada con el atletismo, incluido, entre otros, el Manual de Atletismo, la Política de Elegibilidad, los Formularios Médicos, el Directorio de Entrenadores, información  para las Instrucciones de los Concursos y la Deportividad. En esa página, puede hacer clic en la tercera pestaña de la barra amarilla en la parte superior de la página titulada "Atletismo" (también puede acceder a este enlace en la página de inicio de la escuela). En el lado izquierdo de la página, verá varios enlaces. Uno se titula "Calendario de Juego de OU / BOCES O'Neill". Ese enlace lo llevará a la página de programación de BOCES. Puede ver el horario de todos los equipos deportivos o puede elegir el horario de un equipo específico. 

    Además, el asistente administrativo del director envía un correo electrónico diario a todos los padres que tienen un correo electrónico en el sistema escolar. Este correo electrónico detalla los cambios en la práctica y los horarios de los juegos.

     ¿Cómo puedo obtener información sobre fechas e información que se comparten con los estudiantes todos los días?

    El asistente administrativo del director envía un correo electrónico diario a todos los padres que tienen un correo electrónico que figura en el sistema escolar con una versión transcrita de los anuncios de la mañana. Estos anuncios generalmente comparten una amplia variedad de información. Algunos ejemplos incluyen fechas de reunión del club, oportunidades de voluntariado, información sobre solicitudes de becas y universidades, anuncios de la administración, etc. Si no recibe estos correos electrónicos diarios antes del 14 de septiembre, comuníquese con la guía para asegurarse de que toda su información de correo electrónico correcta esté en el sistema informático. (Tenga en cuenta que estos anuncios están diseñados para estudiantes. La escuela los comparte con los padres / tutores para que estén al tanto de la información que se difunde a los estudiantes a diario).

     ¿Dónde puedo encontrar información sobre la planificación académica (como ofertas de cursos, programas BOCES , etc.), el proceso universitario y las políticas escolares con respecto a lo académico (como calificar, agregar / retirar cursos, requisitos de graduación)?

    La página web de orientación, a la que se puede acceder haciendo clic en la pestaña "Orientación" en la barra marrón en la parte superior del sitio web de O'Neill, tiene muchos recursos diferentes. La pestaña “Planificación Académica” en el lado izquierdo lo llevará a muchos enlaces, incluida la “Guía de Selección de Cursos”, que contiene información sobre políticas y planificación académica. También hay múltiples enlaces en esa página que ofrecen información sobre el proceso universitario. También tenemos una feria universitaria en el otoño, noches de información sobre el proceso universitario y actualizaciones regulares sobre el proceso de ayuda financiera y las oportunidades de becas durante todo el año escolar. 

     ¿Cómo puedo inscribirme en el portal para padres para poder ver información sobre el horario y las calificaciones de mi hijo?

    El proceso de registro del portal para padres también se puede encontrar a través de la página de inicio del Departamento de Orientación. El enlace para el sitio del Portal para Padres también ha formulado con frecuencia preguntas respondidas en ese sitio, así como un proceso paso a paso sobre cómo inscribirse. Si tiene algún problema con este proceso, debe comunicarse con el departamento de orientación. 

     ¿Qué debe hacer mi hijo si tiene dificultades en una clase o necesita ayuda adicional?

    El primer lugar al que debe ir un estudiante para obtener ayuda adicional es su maestro. O'Neill ofrece un programa de "Día Ampliado" de martes a viernes de 1: 50-2: 25. Todos los maestros están disponibles durante este tiempo en sus aulas. Se proporcionará un autobús después del día ampliado para todos los estudiantes. Además, la Sociedad Nacional de Honor de O'Neill tiene tutores voluntarios que están más que dispuestos a ayudar a los estudiantes con dificultades. Están disponibles en la biblioteca durante los períodos de almuerzo y también pueden ponerse en contacto con el Asesor de la Sociedad Nacional de Honor o con su Consejero Vocacional. Además, la escuela ofrece sesiones de revisión de Regentes durante el Día ampliado después de las vacaciones de primavera hasta el día de los exámenes. Los maestros de AP también ofrecen sesiones de revisión, pero los padres deben comunicarse directamente con ese maestro para días y horarios específicos.

     ¿Dónde puedo obtener información sobre las reglas y políticas escolares?

    Cada estudiante recibe un manual del estudiante y una copia del Código de Conducta durante la segunda semana de clases. Además, el manual del estudiante y el Código de Conducta del Distrito se pueden encontrar en el sitio web de la escuela en el enlace "Nuestra Escuela", que es el segundo enlace en la barra marrón en la parte superior de la página de inicio de la escuela. En "Nuestra Escuela", elija "Acerca de Nuestra Escuela", que lo llevará a estos recursos. 

     ¿De qué manera puedo involucrarme más en la escuela y conocer las oportunidades para mi hijo?

    Hay muchas maneras de involucrarse. Además de mantenerse en contacto regular por correo electrónico o por teléfono con los maestros de su hijo y asistir a las funciones escolares, las siguientes opciones están disponibles para todos:

    • Regístrese en el Aula de Google para los maestros de su (s) hijo (s). Casi todos los maestros usan el Aula de Google, por lo que obtendrá un resumen diario de las fechas de vencimiento y los anuncios si lo hace. 
    • Lea el Manual del Estudiante de OHS y el Código de Conducta del Distrito, las cartas que se envían a casa, los correos electrónicos que se envían, etc. 
    • Obtenga la aplicación (app) del distrito, que lo alertará sobre los anuncios del distrito y la escuela. Se llama HFFMCSD.
    • Únase al PTSC (toda la información se puede encontrar en "padres" en el sitio web de la escuela).  
    • Síguenos en las redes sociales. Hay muchos lugares para hacerlo, incluido el "James I. O'Neill PTSC" (https://www.facebook.com/groups/261271077239078/ ) y "Highland Falls-Fort Montgomery Central School District" (@HFFMCSD) Páginas de Facebook; el director en Twitter (@JIOprincipal) e Instagram (@JIOprincipal); y el distrito en Twitter (@HFFMCSD). 
    • Asista a noches de información patrocinadas por la administración, orientación y el distrito.  

     ¿Qué debo hacer si mi hijo ha compartido información sobre intimidación de la que ha sido testigo o ha sido víctima?

    Recomendamos encarecidamente a todos los padres que utilicen el formulario de Informes de DASA / Dignity Act que se puede encontrar en los "Enlaces Rápidos" en la página de inicio de la escuela secundaria o en la pestaña "Padres" o "Estudiantes". Esto le permitirá informar inquietudes, las cuales pasarán directamente a los administradores y coordinadores de DASA en la escuela. Además, lo alentamos a que se comunique con el consejero vocacional de su hijo o con la administración si hay información urgente o que pueda poner en peligro a un estudiante en la escuela. 

     ¿A quién debo contactar si hay una situación difícil en casa que pueda afectar el desempeño de mi hijo o si estoy preocupado por el bienestar de mi hijo?

    Si usted o su familia tienen circunstancias inusuales en el hogar, es probable que afecte el comportamiento o el rendimiento escolar de su hijo. El personal de orientación y nuestro trabajador social escolar siempre están disponibles para ayudar. La facultad y el personal de la escuela secundaria realmente aprecian cuando las familias nos mantienen informados sobre situaciones problemáticas en el hogar, porque nos permite vigilar más de cerca a los estudiantes en la escuela y asegurarnos de su bienestar. 

    Además, si teme que su hijo pueda estar sufriendo ansiedad extrema, depresión, abuso de drogas, conductas de riesgo, etc., lo alentamos a que se comunique con el consejero vocacional de su hijo y / o el trabajador social de la escuela. Estas situaciones a menudo se pueden abordar de manera más productiva cuando los adultos anteriores intervienen. Si alguna vez sospecha que su (s) hijo (s) pueden estar lastimándose o tener ideas suicidas, es esencial que busque asistencia médica de inmediato. La seguridad y el bienestar de los estudiantes es siempre nuestra principal prioridad y tiene prioridad sobre todas las demás preocupaciones.

     ¿Qué hago si la situación de vivienda de mi familia o el suministro de alimentos se vuelve inestable o inseguro?

    Si su familia pierde la vivienda o sus arreglos diarios de vida / mes a mes son inestables, debe comunicarse con el trabajador social de la escuela o el consejero vocacional de su hijo para que podamos asegurarnos de que su hijo tenga todos los apoyos necesarios a través del escuela, incluidos, entre otros, los servicios de transporte. Además, si le preocupa la estabilidad alimenticia de su hijo, es importante que se comunique con la escuela para que podamos asegurarnos de que tengan los requisitos nutricionales necesarios para tener éxito. También es importante que todos los padres soliciten almuerzo gratis o a precio reducido si no están seguros de si pueden calificar para dichos servicios. 

    Si estoy interesado en inscribir a mi hijo en la escuela, ¿qué información necesito proporcionar y dónde debo ir para hacerlo?

    Las familias que se están mudando al distrito escolar deben ir a la página web del distrito y hacer clic en la segunda pestaña de la barra marrón etiquetada como "Distrito". En esta pestaña, hay un enlace a una página titulada “Inscríbase en Nuestras Escuelas”. Esta página detalla toda la información que necesita para inscribirse, la documentación que debe traer al distrito y dónde debe ir físicamente para inscribirse. 

    También puede ir a la página del departamento de orientación escolar (que figura en la sección "Orientación" en la página de inicio de OHS) y elegir el enlace "Información Prospectiva del Estudiante". Para las familias militares, esta página incluye explicaciones sobre el Pacto Militar Interestatal. Este acuerdo interestatal permite a los estudiantes estar exentos de ciertos exámenes estatales y requisitos de graduación, dependiendo de cuándo se mude al estado. También hay formularios en esta página que lo ayudarán a hacer la transición más fácilmente a nuestro distrito escolar.